Ants are one of the most common pests that people find in their homes. One of the biggest problems that comes with ants is that when you see one, there are surely more where that one came from. As they move throughout the home, they can leave bacteria and microbes in their wake. The best way to avoid an ant infestation is to know what is attracting them in the first place. There are actually some scents that attract ants that you may not have known about. Effective Pest Services is here to talk about what those scents are so that you can avoid them in your home.
What Smells are Ants Attracted To?
What many people don’t realize is that there are several smells in your home or yard that actually attract ants to your property. Here are some of the most common smells that will bring ants to your home.
– Candy & Sweet Smells: If there is one thing that we know for sure, it is that ants love to eat sugar. It is no surprise that they are attracted by any candy and sweet smells you may have in your home. They will be especially attracted to any ripe fruit you have around your kitchen, particularly the countertops.
– Food & Fruit Scented Candles: Because ants love anything that is sweet, they will find your sweet smelling candles quite appealing. Any candles that mimic fruits or fresh baked goods are attractive to ants of many sizes.
– Sweet Smelling Perfume & Lotion: Along the same lines, when you are wearing sweet smelling perfume or lotions, ants are going to find that scent attractive as well.
– Raw or Cooked Meat Smell: While ants might be primarily attracted to sugar, they also need to have a balanced diet that includes protein to survive. For this reason, any raw or cooked meat in your home and the smell of preparing it can attract ants as well.
– Greasy & Oily Smells: Greasy foods are another indulgence that will attract ants. They need some grease and fat in their diet as well. If they smell any greasy food in your kitchen, they are going to be on the lookout for it.
– Plants & Decaying Matter Odors: There are several plants that can attract ants as well. Many people that have peonies growing in their garden often report ant infestation. If there are any plants that are decaying, it will be attractive to ants as well since they feed off of it.
– Dirty Laundry: Some of the sweet smelling laundry detergent you use can be attractive to ants as well as dirty laundry. Keep your laundry room neat and tidy to avoid them.
Ant Pest Inspections, Exclusion, Control, Removal & More in Wellington, Fort Collins, Timnath, Greeley, Longmont, Boulder, Johnstown, Berthoud, Estes Park & Loveland, CO | Northern Colorado
If you have ants invading your home and yard, you can turn to Effective Pest Services to get the problem under control. We know exactly what it takes to get rid of any ant infestation you may have. Call us today!