At this time of year, it isn’t far-fetched to envision yourself sitting in front of a fire with a hot cup of coffee or cocoa. The weather is starting to turn and reprieve from summer heat is finally here. As the weather continues to cool, you will notice that pests may start trying to get into your house to find some shelter; rodents especially. Effective Pest Services is here to share some tips to help you get your home rodent proof so you don’t have an infestation on your hands. Following is a list of ways you can prepare your home to keep mice and rats out this fall.
Tips for Rodent Proofing Your Home this Fall
1. Screen Attic Vents & Chimneys– These small openings are the perfect place for rodents to gain entry into your home. Putting a heavy-duty screen behind these vents will keep your attic and chimney safe from rodents.
2. Seal Cracks & Openings Around Your House– Rats and mice can squeeze through even the smallest openings. If you have any cracks in the foundation of your home or around the area where pipes lead into your home, use steel wool and caulking to seal them up.
3. Store Food Properly– Rodents of all shapes and sizes are attracted to much of the same food you eat. If you leave food out or store it in containers they can chew their way through, it will attract them.
4. Store Firewood Away from the House– Stacked firewood is the perfect place for rodents to make their nests, and when it is near the opening of your home, they may try to sneak in when you aren’t looking.
5. Inspect Boxes Before Bringing Them In– As you start to decorate for the long line of holidays that are swiftly approaching, don’t forget to check the boxes for signs of rodents before bringing them inside. This will include droppings as well as chewed corners.
6. Store Pet Food Properly– Rodents just want the food you eat, but will suffice with your pet’s food. Keep it stored in an appropriate container to keep rodents out of it.
7. Empty Trash Regularly– Rotten food will also attract rodents of every kind. Empty your trash regularly and make sure your trash is stored away from the entry of your home. Your outdoor trash cans should have a tight fitting lid that rodents can’t get through to ensure they aren’t attracted to the rotten food inside.
Mice & Rat Pest Inspections, Exclusion, Control, Removal & More in Wellington, Fort Collins, Timnath, Greeley, Longmont, Boulder, Johnstown, Berthoud, Estes Park & Loveland, CO | Northern Colorado
If you have a rodent problem, it can turn into a big one in a hurry. They reproduce at a rapid rate and an infestation doesn’t take long at all. The professional pest control technicians at Effective Pest Services have the training as well as the resources needed to get rid of any mouse or rat problem you have this fall. Don’t let these disease carrying creature into your home. We can help you get your home ready for cooler temperatures and assist you in keeping pests of every kind. Call us today!